Xylitol and Dogs - What's the go?
What some people don't know/realise is that it's all about the dose. The dose is which changes something from medication to something that can harm you.
As a broad sweeping statement, Xylitol is NOT toxic to dogs but it is toxic to dogs in specific amounts (as are many things).
This ingredient is actually included in a number of dog dental health products available in Australia and overseas.
What do the studies say?
A study (Pilot) used 0.05 mg/mL - No adverse effects related to the diet or water additive were reported throughout the study period.
Study name: Pilot study of the effectiveness of a xylitol-based drinking water additive to reduce plaque and calculus accumulation in dogs
"Although pilot studies often present results related to the effectiveness of the interventions, these results should be interpreted as “potential effectiveness”. The focus in the results of pilot studies should always be on feasibility, rather than statistical significance."(2)
A 2010 study stated that dogs that ingest doses of >0.1g (100mg)/kg of xylitol are at risk for developing hypoglycemia, while dogs that ingest >0.5 g/kg may develop acute liver failure.(1)
Study name: Xylitol toxicity in dogs
Chewing gum can be quite problematic given how much Xylitol it has in it.
Xylitol is heavily used in America, whereas in Australia we're more like to use Stevia and the likes. Before giving human products to dogs, check the ingredient labels and errr on the side of caution if it states there is Xylitol as you don't know the levels used.
If it's a dog product then you can generally presume it's safe, if in doubt, speak to your Vet but avoiding the ingredient just based on internet posts might not be in your best interests. Go and do some more research and chat with your Vet.